Healthy Food Recipes - COLESLAW RECIPE - 2 WAYS | classic coleslaw + vinegar coleslaw (no mayo coleslaw)

December 14, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZPG8Bh_o_t4


- There are a couple of recipes that are the quintessential
summer recipes, always served up at parties and barbecues. I showed you one of these last week with my potato salad recipe. And this week, I'm showing you how to make an easy and tasty coleslaw recipe. Now, when it comes to coleslaw, people usually fall into one of two camps. Those who love a mayonnaise-based coleslaw and those who despite it. So today I'm gonna show you
two ways to make coleslaw: a classic or traditional version with a mayonnaise-based dressing and another version that
is oil and vinegar-based.


Both coleslaw recipes are delicious, healthier than anything
you can buy in the store and the oil and vinegar version can also easily be made vegan by simply swapping the
honey for maple syrup. So let me show you how to make 'em. I like coleslaw that's full of color, so I'm using both green
and red cabbage today. But the color choice is yours. To get started, give your cabbage a wash and remove the outer leaves. Slice off the stem and
then stand the cabbage on the flat bottom so that
you have a stable surface to slice through.


Once it's cut in half, lay
it flat on the cutting board and cut it into quarters. Then, remove the core
by cutting diagonally across the bottom of each quarter. Slice the cabbage into thin slices, then cut across this once or twice so that your pieces aren't so long. Another little trick is
that when you're getting towards the end of one of the quarters and it becomes unstable to slice through, flip it on its side and then
continue slicing through it. For this recipe, I'm using three
quarters of a green cabbage and a quarter of red cabbage, but again you could use
different ratios of each.


You just want one whole cabbage in total and I'll talk about that more
when we get to the dressing. So we'll do the same thing
with the red cabbage, thinly slice this up and then add it to a large mixing bowl
with your green cabbage. (upbeat music) To make this coleslaw
recipe extra vibrant, I love adding carrots. And the easiest way to do that is to grate them on a box grater. So grate three carrots and if you can, try to keep them at
more of an upright angle so that the grated pieces
are a little bit longer. Add the carrots to your
mixing bowl and, yep, it's just those three ingredients in this classic coleslaw
recipe, plus the dressing. So let's talk about the dressing. Many coleslaw recipes
are not exactly healthy because they're loaded
with quite a bit of sugar. But not this one. I start with one cup of
my homemade mayonnaise, then add two tablespoons
of apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon of honey,
and that's the only sugar in this entire recipe, one
teaspoon of celery seed, and make sure it's celery
seed and not celery salt, then a quarter-teaspoon
each of salt and pepper.


Give it a good stir until
it's nice and creamy and then pour it on top of
your cabbage and carrots. You can always play around with the ratio of cabbage to dressing and feel free to add more cabbage if you'd
like it slightly less creamy or add less cabbage if you'd
like it slightly more creamy. It's really up to you. Once everything is all mixed together, you can transfer it to a
serving bowl and enjoy. Or if you're making this for a party, you can absolutely make it the day before and I personally think coleslaw is even more delicious the second day after all of the flavors
have melded together.


So remember that this is a great recipe to use for meal prep as well. But for those of you fall
into the I despise mayo camp, let's whip up a vinegar-based,
mayo-free coleslaw recipe. We'll slice our cabbage
just as we did before and this time I'm using
only green cabbage, but again, feel free to experiment with different colors and varieties. So I'll slice one whole cabbage and place that in a mixing bowl. This time, I'm only grating one carrot, though my carrot is a
bit on the large side, so I'm probably getting a little extra. And then I'll add some onion. Cut an onion in half and slice down through the middle of the onion just so we don't end up with
pieces that are too long. Then thinly slice it and
add it to the mixing bowl. And that's it for this
version of coleslaw.


For the vinegar dressing, we'll need one-third
cup apple cider vinegar, three tablespoons of olive oil, one tablespoon of honey,
though you could always add more if you'd like it sweeter, one teaspoon of celery seed, and a quarter-teaspoon
each of salt and pepper. You also want to add a
half-a-tablespoon of Dijon mustard, which I almost forgot. But thank goodness I
remembered when I was whisking. And that's why you should
always print the recipe off my website and not
try to go from memory like I was doing. Then pour the dressing
on top of the cabbage, give this coleslaw a stir, and enjoy. Even if you like a traditional,
mayo-based coleslaw, I think you should give this
vinegar version a try as well.


Both are delicious and
then you can let me know in the comments below
which one you prefer. I hope you guys enjoyed today's video and if you did, make sure
to give it a thumbs up and hit that subscribe button below so you don't miss next week's video..

Info: Post images on Social media for $200 per day

Artikel Terkait

Next Article
« Prev Post
Previous Article
Next Post »
tes

Disqus
Add your comment

No comments